 Robotics / 5264
Re: Identifying an RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:31:53 GMT

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such capability- akin to the
PIIIs queriable on-chip serial number, if I understand you correctly. If
any of the LNP people are hanging out (if that project is even ongoing!)
they may be able to discuss how they are handling the assignment of
addresses...
-Luis

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Jan Newmarch wrote:

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:54:10 +1000 (EST)
From: Jan Newmarch <newmarch@dstc.edu.au>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Identifying an RCX?

My RCX has a (presumably unique) serial number printed on the top. It
would be nice if that, or some other unique identifier, was available
from some command. Then when my robot drives out of range and a possibly
different one drives back in, I could figure out which one it is. Or if it
drives into the range of a different computer then it could identify it.

This would help me to send the right commands based on some knowledge of
which robot the RCX is built into, and which programs I have downloaded to
it. Not foolproof, but better than nothing.

I can't see anything like this in the opcodes. Do I need to build my own
``standard program'' and load it into all my RCXs in order to give an
identifier?

Thanks,

Jan

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous