 Robotics / 5238
5237  |  5239
Subject:
RCX IRPD enhancement!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 04:37:04 GMT

Hi all,

  Al Thiele (thanks!) has been tuning my RCX IRPD circuit and has a few
enhancements.  The one really big one is that he found a low dropout regulator
that is pin-for-pin compatible with the 78L05 that I used.  The big deal is
that is had MUCH less drop out for it to regulate.  This means that the IRPD
will work longer on a lower battery charge than the curren circuit.  The
Digikey part number and price is: LP2950CZ-5.0-ND  $1.44 and it is going to
be worth the replacement effort.  Unsolder the old 78L05 and replace it with
this part and your IRPD will run longer without going flaky.

  Al also replaced the 1N4148 diodes with low current Schotky diodes, but
these are hard to find.  If you find a source for a decent price, let me
know!  Finally, he got a better reading spread by replacing the 4.7K resistor
with a 5.6K.  That last is cool, but not as interesting as the LDO regulator
and the diodes.  The regulator is a must do, the diodes, do if you can, the
resistor, do if you need it.

have fun!
DLC