 Robotics / 522
Re: moving in a straight line with two motors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:38:48 GMT

I believe you are thinking of Leo Dorst's adder/subtractor.
I had been eyeing this myself for use with mindstorms, since
it would seem to solve the "differing motor RPM phenomena"
problem.

The page is at:
http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/diff.html

"jsk" == John Scott Kjellman <jkjellman@ameritech.net> writes:
At one point, in the distant past, I saw plans for a gear box that
used either 2 or 3 differentials, I do not remember which.

2 motors were used, 1 to drive both axles, one for steering.

axle1 == motor1 + motor2
axle2 == motor1 - motor2

With motor2 off, 1 on, the vehicle (most likely treaded), will track
straight, in forward or reverse.  With motor1 off, 2 on, the vehicle
will spin in place.  Combinations of the 2 will do the obvious.