 Robotics / 5204
5203  |  5205
Subject:
Problems with RCX, ROBOLAB and Macintosh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:36:24 GMT

Problems with RCX, ROBOLAB and Macintosh

I 've my RCX since 3 weeks. I bought it together with ROBOLAB from Lego dacta.
I wish to communicate to RCX from my Macintosh PPC9500/200 with the
iconic ROBOLAB. I tried a lot of things but there is no connection
possible with the ROBOLAB software (1.5.1). The communication with the
NQC software from Dave Baum seems to be okay ( - so that the hardware
RCX, ir tower and cable must be all right).

I posted the problem on Fri, 21 May 1999, but I got no answer that could
help me.
Dave Baum answered:

I don't think speed is a problem.  I was running an early version of
Robolab on a 604e/132MHz.  It was annoyingly slow to use, but it was able
to talk with the RCX.  You may want to try the IR tower in both "near" and
"far" modes (that's the switch on the front of the IR tower).  Some people
say "near" is more reliable, some say "far".

Since NQC works, you at least know the RCX, IR Tower, and cable are all
fine.  NQC is fairly permissive on what it considers "reliable"
communication, so it isn't inconceivable that NQC would work when Robolab
would fail.

Dave

Dan answered:

Why don't you try the Robolab web site. They have debugging info and a
new version up now.
http://www.lego.com/dacta/robolab/defaultdecaf.htm
Let me know how it goes.
DAN

... but I had already installed this update of ROBOLAB (1.5.1) with no result.
I tried other MacOS system versions 7.6.1, 8.0, 8.1, 8.5, 8.5.1 but
these changed nothing for the communication problem.

Please give me an answer if someone has no connection problems with
ROBOLAB and Macintosh. I want to use it.

Ralf

My first mail was:

Problems with RCX and ROBOLAB for Macintosh

I can't get any communication from Macintosh to RCX. The RCX and the
IR-tower are okay - the connection from a Windows98-PC to RCX shows no errors.

Trying any port (modem or printer) I get an error when the operating
system should be downloaded to the RCX. The message shows "no connect to RCX".

I tested a lot of settings but all of them were insuccessfully. To show
what I have tested I write a list my computer system profile:

- Macintosh 9500
- PowerPC 604e / 200 MHz
- 96 MB RAM
- 4 GB hard drive
- ...
- System 8.5.1 German (7.6.1 und 8.1 have already been tested)
- AppleTalk via Ethernet (or switched off)
- FileSharing switched off
- ROBOLAB installed
- original Lego connection cable from Macintosh to IR-tower
- tested battery voltage of IR-tower 9,4 V
- tested external voltage for RCX (11.5 V AC)

The green led at the IR-tower is lighted trying to transmit some data. The
diplay of the RCX shows the transmission symbol and counts up from 1 to 20
for 10 times. After this the Macintosh displays the error massage.

The ROBOLAB help site http://www.lego.com/dacta/robolab/ told me that I
can get a software update up to version 1.5.1. The installation was successful
but without anny result to my problem.

Is there a problem with the tranmission timing - but my 200 MHz mac is no
racer.

Who can help?? Please tell me how to get a successful communication.
Thanks

Ralf