 Robotics / 5179
Re: Servo controlers for mindstorms?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 19:00:27 GMT

Patrick Lawrence <pat@hpnc.com> wrote:
Does any one know of some kind of "adapter" to get servos to work with the
mindstorms set?

Do you mean a piece of hardware or a piece of software?

I do not know of any hardware to convert from the Mindstorms output ports
to the servo inputs, so if you desire to do this sort of thing you will
presumably have to get cozy with a soldering iron.

As for software, the current Mindstorms software generates 1 kHz waveforms,
which aren't exactly what you want for fine control of a servo, but
reportedly somebody has tried this already and it is enough to position the
servo at either of its endpoints.  If you are willing to write a low-level
servo driver, I believe it is possible to go further and control the motor
outputs with enough finesse to finely position a servo, but I'm not sure
because I haven't heard anything about this having been done yet.

-Kekoa