 Robotics / 5064
Re: Fishing for a tasty linkage/gearing/robotic building thread... (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 13:58:48 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Mario Ferrari -----

From: "Mario Ferrari" <mario.ferrari@edis.it>
Subject: Re: Fishing for a tasty linkage/gearing/robotic building thread... (fwd)
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 13:26:17 GMT

Jim, a nice suggestion. I love the escapement mechanism. But can't see how
this would make us to save a sensor: we still need to know WHEN it's time to
read the code sensor, I mean when the escapement is in one of its two terminal
positions.

I totally agree with you (including "viva Da Vinci" :). Wouldn't it be great
to actually set up some of his projects?

----- End of forwarded message from Mario Ferrari -----

As I understand your goal, the point was to time the occurance of a sequence
of actions. You don't necessarily need a switch, use a mechanical counter
with various lock-outs. One method would be to use a rod with various
eccentrics on it driving other mechanisms. The escarpment would simply
guarantee that one mechanical action didn't begin before it's previous one
completed, this would provent mechanism lock-up. If you're careful you'd
only need a single swithc to notify the computer it was in the start/stop
position, and a single output to unlock it for another cycle.

I've built one of his 'Turtles' (ie tanks) using normal large gears but they
don't have enough holes and they're not large enough. My kingdom for a 4in.
flat place with holes....<I don't have a kingdom so you can put down your
Dremel now>

       Three step plan: 1. Take over world. 2. Get lot's of cookies.
                        3. Eat the cookies.

                                                    Anonymous

       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
       www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087