 Robotics / 5021
Re: Would-be hacker queries. (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 08:58:59 GMT

Jim Choate wrote:
Recursion requires that in order to find some value (say n!) of a function we
must already know f(n-1). The power of the technique comes from its ability to
trace that chain from n > n-1 > n-2 > ... > f(1) or f(0) and then take this
value and work back up the chain. Generaly recursion is useful when it
becomes possible to describe the state of a system as a function of previous
or lower-leveled states.

That is a rather limited version of recursion, which does not, in
general, require f(n-1) to evaluate f(n). What you have described is
actually (a subset of) partial recursion, which is provably incomplete
(i.e. cannot implement some algorithms).

All recursion requires is that f(...) ends up (optionally) using f(...)
in its evaluation.

Cheers,

Ben.

--