 Robotics / 4982
RE: H8 & unaligned word accesses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 14:52:19 GMT

Right you are Matt. This created a bit of trouble when I was
porting the original
pbFORTH code over to the H8. I THINK this is because the H8
core is extensible
to a full 16 bit machine - or even 32. The "8" in H8 is a
misnomer except at
the bottom end of the family where we are, of course, stuck.

I am currently using the H8S/2144 processor at work. The above statement is
totally correct - the H8 series is directly compatible with the 16-bit H8S
series. Because the H8S is a true 16 bit processor, internal memory is
always accessed as a word (16 bits). Now it is possible with some of the
instructions to do byte wide manipulations, and it is even possible to load
and store single bytes (even or odd addresses). However, every word access
must be word-aligned. When you use Hitachi's E6000 in circuit emulator,
there is a feature that breaks whenever you access an odd address. This
allows you to debug your code that otherwise would just assume that the
lowest address bit is 0 and keep marching on like nothing's wrong.

Anyway, some technical gobledy-gook always does the reader good. So there
you have it.

*Brian Schmalz
Embedded Systems Engineer
Embedded Logic