 Robotics / 4927
    Re: Some comments (long) (was: Something else is needed, I think...) —Kekoa Proudfoot
   Some comments on what Chris Phillips wrote: - as far as I know, you will not be able to implement floating point in byte code, it will be too inefficient (mostly in terms of space) - agreed, current firmware does not support fixed point well, and it (...) (25 years ago, 6-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Some comments (long) (was: Something else is needed, I think...) —Chris Phillips
    Kekoa Proudfoot wrote in message ... (...) Do you think it would be possible with improved firmware to support inline H8 code embedded in a user program? For example, a special byte code could indicate that the following code should be executed (...) (25 years ago, 6-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Some comments (long) (was: Something else is needed, I think...) —Mark Tarrabain
     (...) Good idea! I like it! The only problem I can see with this is I'm not sure if the H8 supports position independant code or not. If it does, then there's no problem. (...) (25 years ago, 6-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Some comments (long) (was: Something else is needed, I think...) —Kekoa Proudfoot
   (...) You might be able to do this if you were clever about it; you might be able to define an opcode that defines a native subroutine that you can call with another opcode, say, that passes in 16- or 32-bit values in registers and expects you store (...) (25 years ago, 7-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Some comments (long) (was: Something else is needed, I think...) —Kekoa Proudfoot
   (...) I should clarify this. The 16-bit software multiply takes two 16-bit numbers and stores their product in a 16-bit number. The 32-bit software multiply takes two 32-bit numbers and stores their product in a 32-bit number. The operations are (...) (25 years ago, 7-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)