 Robotics / 4823
RE: Lego Network Protocol questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 14:45:44 GMT

Previously, you (Ralph Hempel) wrote:
With all of the talk about networking and IP embedding and such,
and since I'm working on a proprietary '485 master/slave protocol
for a client, I had to dust off a GREAT university text on
networks.

It devotes an entire chapter to ALOHA and slotted ALOHA - a radio
broadcasting protocol developed at the University of Hawaii. This is
VERY similar to our problem of nodes stepping on each other's toes
trying to get the masters attention.

The book is called:

Computer Networks
Andrew S. Tannenbaum
Prentice-Hall (c) 1981
ISBN 0-13-165183-8

It's an old book, but really, not that much has changed that applies
to our kind of networking. Plus Tannenbaum's about the dryest wit
on the planet when writing textbooks...

Good luck finding it, confirming opinions are always welcome :-)

Try Op-Amp in LA. their web site is <http://www.opamp.com/> they have
a very good selection of technical books.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.bmts.com/~rhempel/lego/pbFORTH/default.html>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com