 Robotics / 4754
Re: Og Needs More Inputs (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 13:13:22 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Michael Gasperi -----

From: "Michael Gasperi" <gasperi@alynk.com>
Subject: Re: Og Needs More Inputs (fwd)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:43:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Jim Choate) writes:

Perhaps I've misunderstood how that angle sensor works. I was under the
impression it was a simple pot (ie analog), are you saying it is actualy
some sort of R-ladder that is switched depending on the angle (ie perhaps
with a ring-slider mechanism)?

It is an optical (I think) incremental encoder where the 2 quadrature bits are
converted to analog values.  There is a pretty good description of the LEGO
rotation sensor on my web page and also plans for a homebrew version that works
about the same as the LEGO sensor.  It is not as simple as a R-ladder, but
pretty close.

----- End of forwarded message from Michael Gasperi -----

Thanks for the feedback.

The easiest way to do incremental encoding is to take your two bits of data
(since we are talking 4 voltage levels) and run them to a R-2R ladder. It's
the basic idea behind D/A conversion. Now whether it does the D/A this way
or another isn't relevant. What is relevant is the voltage is one of 4
levels. This is less than the 8 levels the RCX can detect. So there is
plenty of latitude to use the 4 unused levels for something else.

       Three step plan: 1. Take over world. 2. Get lot's of cookies.
                        3. Eat the cookies.

                                                    Anonymous

       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
       www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087