 Robotics / 4581
  Using the IR Port to simultaneously send and receive for proximity sensing

I haven't really looked into this but can the IR port on the RCX be used to send out a message and then flip to receive the reflected infrared light thereby using it as a sensor and still have 3 ports left for other sensors? I have read about using (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the IR Port to simultaneously send and receive for proximity sensing

In article <01BE8785.9B90A2A0.d...home.com>, David Cuthill <david.cuthill@home.com> writes (...) Unfortunately the speed of light is *** to fast. A reflection from an object 2 feet away would return in 4 nanoseconds. Each data bit of the (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the IR Port to simultaneously send and receive for proximity sensing

(...) In fact, the IR emitters and IR receiver are in such close proximity that the receiver already receives whatever the emitters emit, using a direct path. The RCX ROM ignores messages it sends out and is thereby able to avoid getting lost in the (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Using the IR Port to simultaneously send and receive for proximity sensing

(...) Ah, this is a vital piece of information I had hitherto missed. I had been puzzling over the 30ms delay which makes the Mark R. David proximity detector work, 77 times 417us is 32ms - Mark is sampling right at the end of the transmission. My (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)