 Robotics / 4555
4554  |  4556
Subject:
What good is the small gear motor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 01:56:51 GMT

I recently bought the small red gear motor to use in my panoramic camera
mount. The purpose of the motor was to rotate a hammer to strike the camera
shutter button after the camera had rotated. I wanted to use the small motor
because I found that the larger motors were too heavy and shifted the centre
of gravity too much which caused the camera to take lopsided pictures.
The problem I have found is that sometimes, when the hammer strikes the
button, if it stays on the button too long while the motor is energized, and
consequently  torque is applied, the motor sometimes stalls and doesn't
retract when I try to rotate the motor in the other direction. As a result I
get missed pictures.
The amount of additional torque can be really small; its like the motor gets
jammed. If I manually move the hammer off the button ,on the next rotation it
will start working again (for a while), and sometimes it gets unstuck after
several rotations of the camera (& consequently several attempts to move the
hammer back & forth).
Has anybody else found this problem with the motor?
How can I use this motor to depress a button without causing it to get stuck,
or is this motor useless for this kind of thing. (hence what good IS it?)
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
rob cairns

PS I also bought the large turntable for my base. Now THATs a useful piece!