 Robotics / 4491
re: legOS for the helpless
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 03:53:12 GMT

=>From: David Chen <nospam-dcchen@pacbell.net-nospam>
=>...
=>Since (I assume) there are many out there who are having a really tough
=>time getting a working LegOs development environment working on their
=>various systems (Mac, Winblows, etc...), would it be feasable to set up
=>a web based engine that accepted LegOs .c code, compiled it and spat
=>back a compiled .srec file via e-mail, all ready for download.  Or in
=>the case of a bad program, just sent back the compilation error
=>messages?

Ask and you shall receive!

I've been feeling bad about forsaking my rightful Lego playtime, and
when I read this message, I saw a chance to redeem myself for failing
to write up that HOWTO on using the Windoze version of the GNU
compiler tools that I posted long ago.

So here it is, the LegOS Compiler Service!  Put your C or C++ code
into the web page text box and click "Compile".  You'll see all the
error messages, and if the compilation succeeds, you'll be able to
download either the disassembled program or the SREC file.

I've "tested" it by putting Markus' "first-c++.cpp" program from the
legOS-0.1.7 distribution into the web page and compiling it; the
disassembly looks the same as the one you get normally, but the SREC
file is slightly different.  I don't have a proper setup to download
and test the SREC file on my RCX, but I'm hoping the difference is
just a timestamp or something.  (If anybody has a chance to try the
compiler and download & test the resulting SREC, please let me know if
I need to do any more.)

The box that's actually doing the compilation lives on the far end of
a sporadic ISDN connection, so you may not be able to use the service
all the time, but perhaps it's better than nothing.  (If nothing else,
perhaps it'll prove so annoying that you'll be motivated to set up
your own development environment! :-)

Somebody, anybody, please let me know what you think.

Oh, yeah, the URL:

http://vheissu.webvision.com/~dhm/compile-legOS.html

regards,
d.