 Robotics / 4464
Re: RCX Challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 16:17:35 GMT

At 18:32 02/04/99 Friday , you wrote:
And the winner is ....

Nobody.  As a result, I'm going to modify the challenge to make it less
restrictive.  First of all, there will be no timeline, second, there will
be no point system.  The first person to successfully complete the
objective wins.

All restrictions have been removed.  You can use any amount of lego or
homebrew parts.

If you are new to the list or have forgotten the challenge, basically it is
to be the first to build an autonomous robot that can navigate a small
room, identify and pick up three randomly placed coke cans and return them
to the starting area.

The full description of the objective can be found at:
http://www.connect.net/joel/challenge.html

I was afraid this was going to happen :-(
Something is missing, you know...

I'm just gona throw up some ideas (and sorry the English):

First you need to publicize it frequently. You also need to publicize who are the current contestants, the status of the them while the contest runs, the original ways they managed to accomplish the goals or even the ways they are thinking in accomplishing them. You know, kinda sports reporter :-)
There should be a web page where one could publish photos of their prototypes in action and any other things that are related with the current contest.
And because it's the first try, maybe a less difficult objective might also be appropriate.
But remember, you must show how it's fun to play and keep everybody informed (about once a week?).

That's what I think, at least :-)

PS: These new rules mean I can use my CyberMaster?

Laurentino Martins

[mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]