 Robotics / 4374
RE: External Power Port Problem..?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:24:14 GMT

I have two RCXs, both of which have stopped responding to power applied
to the external power port. With batteries, they function correctly;
with a 9.6v Lithium Ion battery pack attached to the external port,
nothing. This has not always been the case; in the past, I have
successfully powered my RCXs by an AC adaptor and by the aforementioned
9.6v battery pack. Nothing unusual happened that would have damaged the
units that I am aware of.

Ummm, It's not clear from your post, and I'm sure you have tried this,
but have you tried a different adaptor?

I tried to drive the RCX from a supposedly 9V wallwart, and it didn't
work. The I used my lab power supply and started cranking it up towards
the advertised limit of 12V, It started working around 9.5 volts. Now I
use a 12V LeadAcid Battery from a security system. It'll keep the
RCX working for weeks...

Another post advised fusing the battery pack, and I concur (even though
mine isn't fused - it will be soon)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng