 Robotics / 4372
4371  |  4373
Subject:
External Power Port Problem..? (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:59:58 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Issac Merkle -----

From: "Issac Merkle" <the_gaff@hotmail.com>
Subject: External Power Port Problem..?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:08:01 PST

I have two RCXs, both of which have stopped responding to power applied
to the external power port. With batteries, they function correctly;
with a 9.6v Lithium Ion battery pack attached to the external port,
nothing. This has not always been the case; in the past, I have
successfully powered my RCXs by an AC adaptor and by the aforementioned
9.6v battery pack. Nothing unusual happened that would have damaged the
units that I am aware of.

----- End of forwarded message from Issac Merkle -----

I won't address Lego's customer support policy (I did this stuff for years
and know it's a no win/no win battle). Sorry I can't help there.

I will say that it should be fused and if you ever unplugged power with the
brick on it may be blown. It should be reasonably simple to find if you
don't mind breaking the case.

There could also be a considerable surge if the brick had batteries in it
when external power was supplied. Especialy if the batteries were low. The
delta-V can sometimes cause heavy current as the batteries try to charge
from the external supply. This effect can be seen even with dry cell
batteries (they get hot - wear eye protection if you experiment).

Since Lego will replace them I wouldn't advise it however.

In general never make/break cables unless the manufacturer expressely says
it's ok with the power on. Always turn that bad boy off first. And always
remove batteries when running on external power.

        The trouble with acting according to your conscience is that
        once you start doing it, nobody can trust you any more.

                                            Alexis A. Gilliland

       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
       www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087