 Robotics / 4263
Re: More outputs, thinking outside of the box...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:51:18 GMT

From my experience:

The RCX uses- pulse width modulation -to save energy, which means it uses a
constant voltage-that never drops below 8 volts.  It just reduces the
overall time the current is on.  full power its on continuously and 1 its on
1/8 the amount of time-I' not sure what the Hz is.  So I think you would
have to make a pulse "recognizer" to change the motors, but that would be
very complicated.

But maybe I a missing something and you can get better control of the
voltage.  If I am tell me, because I'd love to be able to change the
voltage.

-----Original Message-----
From: OneTimeCRX <hchea@ramapo.edu>
Cc: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Thursday, March 11, 1999 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: More outputs, thinking outside of the box...

To get more electrical about it, how about making a voltage gate for the
third output, that according to what voltage you set the third output to
(between 1 to 9 volts), it switches on different sets of motors?  Also,
polarity changes could trigger more sets of motors, so that there would
be a total of 20 outputs from the two original outputs (from -9 to 9
volts in the third output controlling where the other two outputs go).
Of course only two motors could be on at a time, but at least it won't
be too bulky to make, and there won't be significant power loss (in
theory).  To illustrate, let's say that we set the third output to 0
volts.  This will allow the current from the two other outputs to a pair
of motors (and they will get full forward/reverse freedom of motion).
Then, later on set the third output to 1 volt.  This will trigger the
voltage gate/relay to allow the current from the other two outputs go to
a different set of motors.  This can be done for values of the third
output being: -9, -8, -7, -6, ..., 0, 1, 2, ... , 9.  Hmm, maybe I'll
try it.
--
Cheers,
Henry C.