 Robotics / 4247
4246  |  4248
Subject:
Communicating with RCX native serial port
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:54:36 GMT

I have been trying for the last week to get my RCX to respond to serial
commands i am a little confused.  I think i understand most of the
header packet stuff but here's where im stuck...

you send 0x55 0xff 0x00 as the header...

I am sending this as a typecasted byte eg.  byte(55 + ff + 00)

should i send it as an ansi string of the converted hex? or just as a
byte?

next i add to that header the command in this case i am trying for a
basic alive response..which i have tried a 0x10

so now i would be sending 55 ff 00 10

at this point im stuck as well since in one place i have seen it sent at
55 ff 00 f7 then 10 and some other hex which i am not sure where it is
coming from.

Also i noticed that the programs for communcating native have done a
bitwise OR operation.  Is this done on the entire message and then
appended to the message? like a check sum?  or is it just on the command
and not the header?

but either way the RCX responds with an incorrect reply and if i try to
many different combinations i eventually fry the RCX and have to upload
the firmware again.

If anyone could help i would Really appreciate it...im not sure my RCX
can take much more of my IR attacks.

BTW im using Delphi and using assembly to send to the port on a win98
machine.

TIA
Barry R.
http://www.angelfire.com/ar/lego