 Robotics / 4131
Re: The power of Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 13:05:29 GMT

Thanks to Peter and Jim for your references,

I am sorry to see that my first posting was not accurate. We have studied these
excellent pages on how to reinforce Lego structures at an earlier point (and
the interesting Math behind it!).

However, our problem is not so much designing the platform and test bed - but
how to make the motors lift the platform.

Until now we have mostly worked with pulleys lifting buckets with weights. But
we have failed coming up with a design for a reliable pulley system involving
five motors pulling each 8 kg+. Especially the placement of the pulleys and
actual wirering is very difficult given the size of the object (a person).

A gear system seems a better bet - especially because we do not have any
ambitions of raising the platform more than just a few cm. Alas, here we find
it difficult to construct a vertical gear lift that can "carry" the platform
without stalling/disintegrating under the stress of deformation and friction.
We continue experimenting with worms gears this week-end.

Anyway; super stable extra high turbo torque solutions/ideas are very welcome -
we would hate to find ourselves wrecked on top of the RCX and five Lego motors!

Thanks again,

Franz-Michael S. Mellbin

Jim Thomas wrote:

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Jim Thomas) writes:
Does anyone have a url or a copy they could post?
--
Regards - Peter Hesketh, Mynyddbach, Mon.

Here is the thread which includes both the table and the URL to a very good
site on this information.

JT