 Robotics / 4122
4121  |  4123
Subject:
RCX IR proximity detector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:00:27 GMT

Hi all,

  I have gotten quite a few responses to my IRPD for the RCX project.  By
far most people wanted to know if I had boards/full kits that I could sell.
Phew!  This is a hobby, and while I don't mind putting together boards
and special parts, I'm not sure about full kits!  So, I have a question for
all those who sent me email (and any thinking about it), since the spirit
of DIY is alive and well with Mindstorms...  Is there any interest out there
for me to have a good PC board made specifically for the RCX to use my
IRPD PIC?  I could have a PC board and PIC made up specifically for the RCX.
  For what it would cost, contact me, I don't want to discuss money on this
list.  I really don't want to collect a whole bunch of little parts to
create a whole kit however, that would take too much time and probably cost
too much for DIY'ers out there who have their own stock anyway.
  So my question, What is the true interest in this really?  I have an
initial estimate that I can make a board that would fit into a 4 button
wide, 5 button long, 2 block high area (1" X 1.1" X 3/4") or so.  The
only problems I have is that I would LOVE to use the new LiteOn IR
demodulator its an order of magnitude smaller, but doesn't seem to work
very well with the RCX, the alternative is the Sharp unit which would stick out
of the constructed block. - I'm still working on it though!

have fun!
DLC