 Robotics / 4093
RE: Three-wheel Synchro Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:14:41 GMT

I've tried the same synchro designs using a 4 wheeler, and, although close,
they are not perfectly designed.  With the design provided, the wheels are
not centered under the turntable.  The operation is good in principle; the
wheels do all orient towards the same direction and travel is successful.
However, if you watch the motion in just sitting in place rotating the
turntables you'll notice the entire robot follows a small circular rotation
as the wheels spin about their uncentered axis.  I managed to get the wheels
centered by moving the gears to the outside of the turntable as opposed to
dropping an axle all the way down through the center of the wheel assembly,
although it wasn't an elegant solution.  It was a fun exercise, though and
something I'd like to finish up sometime.  In the future design I would like
to add a turntable to an upper base of the robot (similar to a tank turret)
so that the robot can orient any sensors.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: lego-robotics@crynwr.com [mailto:lego-robotics@crynwr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 1999 9:25 PM
To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Subject: Three-wheel Synchro Drive

Hello,

I succeeded in creating a three-wheel synchro drive
robot, using the Large Turntables from Pitsco Lego
Dacta. There are pictures here:

  http://members.xoom.com/jknudsen/Synchronicity/Synchronicity.html

It doesn't do anything; I just wanted to prove it
could be done mechanically. It's still a little rough.

Enjoy!

Jonathan