 Robotics / 4047
Re: Might be new to Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 17:56:23 GMT

Ok.. I checked that out... from the sounds of it the RIS is the better
bet...
Bascially it sounds like Cybermaster is like the RC they sold in the I
think summer cat from S@H??? only it's computer controlled instead of
hand remote controlled?
I will post this to the mailing list also because I now have more
questions :)

with the RIS, it has the 5 slots, like the comparison page says, with
it's very short review [1] and it needs to stay within reach of the IR
transmitter.. if it is within the transmitting area, I can reprogram it
to do other things on the fly? or do I have to start it all over again.
If this makes sense I'll try again. [2] it has 5 slots, can I empty or
reload one slot as it's moving? or more?
Supports up to 10 concurrent tasks? can only have maybe one or 2 tasks
per program? will it run more than one prg at a time?
Thanks for the help so far!
Tamy

[1] oh no, now I'm starting this crap! Is there another longer review??
[2] flying by the seat of my pants here as I don't know exactly how this
works yet without having the set

Andy Bower wrote:

Tamy,

I wouldn't recommend buying the RCX and motors/sensors separately. By the
time you've bought an RCX, the PC software to drive it,  2 Motors and a
couple of sensors you won't be far off the cost of MindStorms and you won't
have all the extra 700 odd bits that come in the real set.

One thing you you might find is that the CyberMaster set (if it is available
in your country) may be of interest to you rather than MindStorms. I'd say
it's something like a half way house between the BarCode truck and
MindStorms. There is a comparison of the two sets on the Lego Robotics
WikiWeb at:

http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Lego-Robotics/MindStormsAndCyberMasterC
omparison.htm

Regards,