 Robotics / 4026
Re: programming the Cybermaster.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:20:12 GMT

I still have problems programming my Cybermaster.

I try to send to the tower (with the Java Programm of Dario Laverde)

55 ff 00 10 ~10 10 ~10 -> alive?

And I only recieve 00 00 as an answer.

The packet headers on the Cybermaster and the RCX are different.
The RCX packet header in both directions (to and from host computer) :
55 ff 00 - (3 bytes)
The Cybermaster packet header when sending from host computer to CM:
fe 00 00 ff - (4 bytes)
The Cybermaster packet header when sending (a reply) from the CM to the
host computer:
ff - (1 byte)
All packet headers are followed by the same type of packets, which look
like this:
D1 ~D1 D2 ~D2 ... Dn ~Dn C ~C
where D1...Dn are the message body, and C = D1 + D2 + ... Dn.

If you send a packed like this to the Cybermaster,
fe 00 00 ff 10 ef 10 ef
you should get the following response:
ff ef 10 ef 10

See here for a commented example "conversation" session between the CM and
a PC.

http://www.viktoria.informatik.gu.se/~peter/lego/captured_data.txt

See here for Kekoa's excellent description of the RCX/CM protocol:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/

NB: You should be aware that the hardware layer and serial protocol is also
somewhat different between the RCX and the Cybermaster.
Check my web site for details.

Peter Ljungstrand; PLAY Research Group, Viktoria Institute

http://www.viktoria.informatics.gu.se
Email: peter@informatics.gu.se
Phone: +46-(0)31-7735543        Mobile: +46-(0)708-302251
Fax: +46-(0)31-7735530        ICQ: 6820636
Visitors: Viktoriagatan 13, 7th floor
Snail-mail: Box 620, 40530 Göteborg, Sweden