 Robotics / 3997
Re: Contest Rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:38:08 GMT

Joel Shafer wrote:

Any limitations on what is allowed for external lighting? (i.e. overhead
lighting)

If not, custom paint jobs on the walls and cans will make it trivial for
any bot with a light sensor to find the cans.

Not really since the can placement will be random.  The only "information"
on the walls will be about the walls themselves.

Color coding the walls white and the cans black is an acceptable solution
and I don't think it will be prove to be trivial.

Actually, I was thinking that exactly the opposite coloring scheme could be
used.  Flat black for walls (several coats of it... to minimize light
reflectance), and a highly reflective paint on the cans.  With bright light
placement overhead, the cans would show up on the light sensor like blips on
an otherwise blank radarscope.

Mark