 Robotics / 3804
Re: Motor power?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 01:26:19 GMT

=>From: Dan McCabe <danm@seanet.com>
=>...
=>When I set the motor power (both in RIS and nqc), I expected the speed
=>of the motor to be proportional to the power setting (i.e., higher power
=>setting makes motor turn faster and vice versa). However, what I see is
=>that the power setting appears to have no impact on motor speed.
=>
=>Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just that I can't get there from
=>here? Any insights would be appreciated. (Yeah, I could do the PWM thing
=>in RCX code, but I hoped that the firmware did that sort of thing for
=>you; it would be faster and more efficient in firmware).

I think the power setting *is* doing PWM.  I'm not an expert on
motors, but my understanding (from a previous message on this list, I
think) is that DC motor speed is proportional to voltage, and torque
is proportional to current.  Since I think the PWM is turning the
motor on to the full voltage and then turning it off again, I would
expect the speed to be almost the same, particularly when the motor
isn't working very hard.  I don't know how to change the motor's RPM,
or even whether it's possible.

d.