 Robotics / 3742
3741  |  3743
Subject:
legOS development release imminent / C++
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:12:05 GMT

Hello everyone,

there'll be a new development release shortly. This will probably be
less stable than 0.1.6. I've been working on and integrating
contributions for many different features:

- automatic generation of API documentation with doxygen
- bugfixes
- math routines
- libc.a, libiberty.a
- compiler issues
- C++ support (with egcs-1.1.1)

Currently, I have a stub of less than 600 bytes (subtract symbols, and
we're probably at 300 bytes) that allows very basic usage of classes and
inheritance. Things that don't work include new/delete, the virtual
modifier and exceptions. All these functions seem to be strongly
intertwined with RTTI, thus take up an big amount of memory - too much
to suit firmdl.

I'm worried about compactness with C++ in general. The code generated by
this function is 76 bytes long:

void do_sensing_c() {
  int i;
  ds_active(&SENSOR_1);

  for(i=0; i<100; i++) {
    cputw(SENSOR_1);
    lcd_refresh();
    delay(20);
  }
  ds_passive(&SENSOR_1);
}

The exact same thing in C++ generates 232 bytes:

void do_sensing_cpp() {
  Sensor s(Sensor::s1,1);

  for(int i=0; i<100; i++) {
    cputw(s.value());
    lcd_refresh();
    delay(20);
  }
}

A factor of three. I'm not sure whether it's worth treading this path.

Markus.

--
Markus L. Noga noga@inrialpes.fr
Check out legOS! http://www.multimania.com/legos/