 Robotics / 3703
RE: Mindstorms in 1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:33:33 GMT

I would be very surprised if the RCX itself was discontinued.  Lego can
continue to make easy money on that as long as there is demand through
Pitsco Dacta sales (at $90? or $120?).  In the educational market there is
an installed base they can leverage to keep a product viable.  It is the
boxed set (including parts, motors, sensors) geared towards retail sales
that will be affected by marketing decisions and other product offerings.

JT

-----Original Message-----
From: amp5315@ritvax.isc.rit.edu [mailto:amp5315@ritvax.isc.rit.edu]
Sent: Friday, February 12, 1999 6:22 AM
To: Mark Tarrabain
Cc: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Mindstorms in 1999

Wow.  I REALLY hope that Lego does not stop production of the
Mindstorms
RCX as we know it.  I don't know about other places, but here
at RIT we
are SERIOUSLY considering using them to do some Karol the Robot type
artificial intelligence projects with students using the VB control to
write software.  (actually we want to do this and are
requesting budget :)
I would be very upset if we can't do this know because we
can't get bricks
for the labs...

I think that more adults have these things than kids.  Why
doesn't Lego
just play to both markets and make an even more capable brick
as well as
the "dumber" versions that are coming out ?  I know the
research is there
from the MIT projects, and they could make a **lot** of $$ selling
advanced kits to adult buyers.  Just a thought.

-A

Andrew Phelps
Graduate Assistant
Rochester Institute of Technology