 Robotics / 3681
Re: Missing Posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:32:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Laurentino Martins) writes:
I'm pretty sure some of the posts that I can see in the lugnet.robotics newsgroup
have not been distributed in the mailing list. Is this normal?
(Am I dreaming?)

No, it's not normal, and you're not dreaming.  I broke something 2 days ago
with the gateway; I'll fix it and make sure that the missing posts are sent.
Thanks for noticing and reporting the problem.  My apologies for the delays
in delivery.

--

(Gory details of what happened follow...)

Late Tuesday night when the LEGO-Style Computer Aided Design ("L-CAD")
that people who were subscribed to the old list by mail were automagically
subscribed to the new newsgroup by mail to ease the transition for them and
give them time to decide whether to continue receiving the group by mail or
to switch to pure NNTP newsreading.

So that's straightforward; no problem.  Except for one thing:  the ISP at
which lugnet.com is co-located has a strong no-spamming policy; they enforce
this by activating a tripwire if you send out more than 100 pieces of mail
in a 3-second period.  (This is an effective limit of 2.88 million pieces of
mail a day, which is extremely reasonable.)

Since the outgoing address list of the new CAD development newsgroup was
100 people, the code for the outgoing news-by-mail gateway was in violation
of the ISP's terms of use.  As soon as I realized what was happening, I dove
in to fix the problem.  The mods to the gateway code consisted of taking the
long list of Bcc addressees, breaking it up into smaller chunks, and
sleeping for 3 seconds between outgoing mails.

It was ~4am when I did this and I was in a rush because I needed to get
Suzanne to the train station for the NY Toy Fair by ~5am.  I made the
mistake of only doing regression testing the lugnet.cad.dev group, which was
unfortunate because the code change I made introduced a bug which caused
mailing list gateways to be dropped.  (They're different because the
outgoing messages to them don't have any Bcc lists, so the new code said,
"Hey, the Bcc list is empty; I don't need to do anything.")

Well, there ya have it.  I hate to make changes to the server code late at
night before going to sleep, but the long-addressee list problem was
critical to fix right away.

--Todd