 Robotics / 3678
Re: polling & the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 06:45:41 GMT

Datalog uploading works a lot better if you initiate it from the host
(your Linux box).  As of version 1.1, uploading is built into nqc...

nqc -datalog

Older versions of nqc required using a separate utility to upload the datalog.

Initiating the upload from the RCX is problematic because the IR
transmitter times out after a period of inactivity, making it difficult
for the host to passively wait for data to arrive.

If you still want to write a custom program to handle the datalog, you can
download the NQC source
(http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/lego/nqc/index.html) which includes
several utility classes to manage the serial connection and format the
datalog.

Dave

In article <36C3822F.52D35E32@cygnet.co.uk>, Mingus Rockbutt
<mingus@cygnet.co.uk> wrote:

Please excuse what may be a stupid Q but....
how do I retrieve the datalog from an RCX (coded in nqc if it matters).
Im running nqc on a Linux box and I'm clueless as to how to transfer the
data captured from the RCX, via the IR tower to the computer - can I
just use a comms package such as seyon or whatever? If so what are the
protocol settings? What I have in the RCX is:

SetDatalog(16);
   while (count < 16)
       {
           Datalog(IN_2);
           count +=1;
       }
   UploadDatalog(1,15);

I _think_ that the data is being sent from the RCX - its transfer LCD
bit is lighting up - but the IR tower is sleeping or, If I fire up
minicom the tower active LED is lit but no amount of protocol setting
retreives anything.

Sorry that this sounds like the Spanish inquistion but my C coding is
definitely up to writing a port polling program if that's what's needed.
(AI student - Prolog just does not talk to hardware)

TIA
Tim Kay
mingus@cygnet.co.uk

reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com