 Robotics / 3672
3671  |  3673
Subject:
alternate control interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:16:47 GMT

My group of friends have several different types of machines.  I was
hoping to set up an interface to the RCX that would be compatible across
many of those platforms in an easy portable way so that RCX would work
at any of those locations.  My intent was not for those machines to be
able to download code, but merely to provide commands to the RCX.

I have a Timex Datalink watch which can download information from a
monitor.  I thought why not try to do the same with a light sensor on an
RCX.  All those machines have monitors...

I pointed my light sensor at my monitor and the difference between a
black and white background was nonexistent.  I looked at Frank Angeli's
pages ( http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/light-sensor.html and
http://www.franweb.com/lego/ ) and thought that perhaps the light in the
sensor was overwhelming the monitor or getting reflections.  (sure, I
was grasping at straws)  I dissected my light sensor, removed the LED,
and put it back together.  I tested the monitor.  In general I get a
reading of 0, with occasional spikes but only when I am moving the RCX.

So, the monitor to light sensor control is still useless at the moment.
Any thoughts?  refresh rate?

Roland
rolok@slip.net

p.s.  Frank, in your web page you might suggest that the best way to
dissect the light sensor is to take an X-acto knife and cut all around
the seam.  Assure people that it is pretty safe since the board is up
near the top of the brick.  Cutting at a slight angle towards the bottom
would help ensure that upon reassembly the top and bottom will be
properly aligned.  Once the seam is cut through the only other thing
holding it together is the stud over the wire which can be easily broken
off, or reach in with the knife and cut it.  Don't try to just pry it
apart before the sides are fully cut or you'll just get scars on your
light sensor brick.  (umm, so I've been told)