 Robotics / 3668
RE: Mindstorms in 1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:13:53 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus L. Noga [mailto:noga@inrialpes.fr]
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 1999 3:46 AM
To: LEGO Robotics list
Subject: Re: Mindstorms in 1999

Jim Thomas wrote:
I think it will be easier to get the new "blue" unit • targeted to different
languages because of the on screen programming paradigm and no host
computer/software required.  I would be surprised if there • is a one year
delay for the new system to go into worldwide release after • an initial
limited rollout (if it is limited at all).

I disagree. Internationalizing PC software is way easier than
internationalizing embedded software with its inherent space
constraints. To provide Suaheli software for RCX control is just to
include another string table and set of documentation on the CD. If
they're not providing PC communication, there'll be no easy firmware
update process to accomodate suchlike changes, either.

Well I have to disagree with your disagreement.  I have never done an
embedded application with textual language in it in the first place.
Therefore no internationalization needed.  I was thinking the on screen
programming would be icon based not language based.  I would be very
surprised if there were many words at all.  I would be extremely surprised
if you had to enter characters.

system's sales volume.  If you think about it, the • Mindstorms costs them
more to produce because of the serial transmitter, the PC • hosted software
product support and development teams, and I bet more • parts than the new
system.  When you put the wholesale/retail prices into the • equation, Lego
might only get $15-$30 more for Mindstorms (I don't know • the standard
markup, but I have to imagine that wholesale is about
40-60% of retail).

I disagree again. PC software is cheaper to develop and maintain than
embedded software with its need for cross-development. There
are more PC
developers around, too. The serial port and carrier frequency
generator
are on-chip modules for the H8 and require few discrete components, so
it's just a question of bundling the IR tower or making it an extra.

Well I'll have to disagree with your disagreement again.  Not because of
disagreement with your assertion of development costs, but because both
systems have embedded software.  Thus one system has two developments the
other one.  Furthermore I guess that "blue" is essentially the same as the
RCX in both software and hardware.  My guess is that the only major
difference is the packaging, display hardware and software, and the
programming input code.    Another point to remember is that embedded code
has no recurring cost (well technically it does but you can't delete it)
while the PC SW does (although CDs are pretty cheap to make) and the IR
tower does cost something.

Every second household in the US has a PC, as of this morning's Wired
newsletter. Those that haven't won't buy a computer toy in
any case. Why
make a product more expensive by including a bigger display
and keyboard
if every likely customer already has a desktop system
providing a better
user interface?

I disagree.  I think "blue" will not be perceived as a computer toy.  It
will have no prerequisite computer ownership or operation requirements.
Lego has already said that it will be $50 *cheaper* than the RIS.  Unless
they are pushing it as a loss leader I don't see how you assertion of
greater cost applies.

LEGO has entered the computer product market very late, which in my
opinion greatly contributed to the financial problems they're
currently
experiencing. Although Fischer-Technik and other toy brands
had robotics
systems available in 1993 and earlier, these didn't create half the
hype. The Mindstorms did. In the US, they are LEGO's top product in
terms of gross sales. For the first time ever, this made the US branch
surpass the German one in sales.

Why think about marketing? Even with completely mistargeted marketing,
the unit practically sold by itself, surpassing projected sales by a
factor of six. According to LEGO, they're currently firing marketing
people to fix the balance sheet.

Why discontinue this unit? There's just one reason. Well-informed
sources recently hinted at a RCX 2.0 in development.

Ciao, Markus.

--
Markus L. Noga noga@inrialpes.fr
Check out legOS! http://www.multimania.com/legos/

And the Mindstorms 2.0 will probably be positioned further away from the new
offerings.  Most likely higher price, but we can always hope it will be
aimed at an older age group.  On the other hand, how sure are we that the
new "blue" unit isn't the RCX 2.0 that was hinted at?

JT