 Robotics / 3662
Re: Mindstorms in 1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:45:48 GMT

Jim Thomas wrote:
I think it will be easier to get the new "blue" unit targeted to different
languages because of the on screen programming paradigm and no host
computer/software required.  I would be surprised if there is a one year
delay for the new system to go into worldwide release after an initial
limited rollout (if it is limited at all).

I disagree. Internationalizing PC software is way easier than
internationalizing embedded software with its inherent space
constraints. To provide Suaheli software for RCX control is just to
include another string table and set of documentation on the CD. If
they're not providing PC communication, there'll be no easy firmware
update process to accomodate suchlike changes, either.

system's sales volume.  If you think about it, the Mindstorms costs them
more to produce because of the serial transmitter, the PC hosted software
product support and development teams, and I bet more parts than the new
system.  When you put the wholesale/retail prices into the equation, Lego
might only get $15-$30 more for Mindstorms (I don't know the standard
markup, but I have to imagine that wholesale is about 40-60% of retail).

I disagree again. PC software is cheaper to develop and maintain than
embedded software with its need for cross-development. There are more PC
developers around, too. The serial port and carrier frequency generator
are on-chip modules for the H8 and require few discrete components, so
it's just a question of bundling the IR tower or making it an extra.

Every second household in the US has a PC, as of this morning's Wired
newsletter. Those that haven't won't buy a computer toy in any case. Why
make a product more expensive by including a bigger display and keyboard
if every likely customer already has a desktop system providing a better
user interface?

LEGO has entered the computer product market very late, which in my
opinion greatly contributed to the financial problems they're currently
experiencing. Although Fischer-Technik and other toy brands had robotics
systems available in 1993 and earlier, these didn't create half the
hype. The Mindstorms did. In the US, they are LEGO's top product in
terms of gross sales. For the first time ever, this made the US branch
surpass the German one in sales.

Why think about marketing? Even with completely mistargeted marketing,
the unit practically sold by itself, surpassing projected sales by a
factor of six. According to LEGO, they're currently firing marketing
people to fix the balance sheet.

Why discontinue this unit? There's just one reason. Well-informed
sources recently hinted at a RCX 2.0 in development.

Ciao, Markus.

--
Markus L. Noga noga@inrialpes.fr
Check out legOS! http://www.multimania.com/legos/