 Robotics / 3639
RE: Mindstorms in 1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:00:47 GMT

OK, now I am starting to get worried...

On another related thread I was trying to calm fears that "updated
Mindstorms with enhanced processors" (reported in a ZD article, which I
believed, and apparently confirmed based on your report, is poorly written
and very misleading) would be incompatible with all of the 3rd party
software work done by members of this group.  My point was that the (yellow)
RCX is more than adequate for Lego's purpose and I would be surprised if
they changed it in any significant way.  Based on your report this seems
true -- no significant changes.

I remember late last year during the Christmas rush that Lego said they had
only expected to sell 12K units last year and that they had greatly under
estimated.  Furthermore they have sold all 80K units from the initial build.
My guess is that their original plans were to only make 80K units total.
Ever.  They probably thought they would last for between 2 and 3 years, the
approximate useful lifetime of a computer software product.

My fear is that Lego thinks they can make much more money on the new lower
priced (and likely higher margin) products, and may not do another run of
Mindstorms (support Dacta type product lines with Robolab only), or if they
do they might raise the price significantly.  As long as the much more
capable Mindstorms is available for only $50 more, it will cut into the new
system's sales volume.  If you think about it, the Mindstorms costs them
more to produce because of the serial transmitter, the PC hosted software
product support and development teams, and I bet more parts than the new
system.  When you put the wholesale/retail prices into the equation, Lego
might only get $15-$30 more for Mindstorms (I don't know the standard
markup, but I have to imagine that wholesale is about 40-60% of retail).

Am I crazy.  Do we really *know* that new runs of Mindstorms boxes (in
essentially the same configuration as we got them) will be manufactured?
The only thing I remember hearing was talking about making more *after*
March.  Could Mindstorms go the way of the Supercar?

JT

BTW, the Robotics Exploration Kit sounds neat to me.  Especially if there is
a way to break in and replace/modify the underlying software.  On screen
programming could a boon if capable enough.  You could write and test
software while riding a bus, etc.  I see it as a different and useful
product -- especially if it could communicate with the RCX and the tower.