 Robotics / 3615
Re: Mindstorms in 1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 02:44:39 GMT

At 06:42 PM 2/9/99 -0800, Kevin A. Saddi wrote:
First off, thanks for the report Jonathan. Are the prices exact or an
estimate? I think $150 for a smaller "RCX" with less number of ports is
pretty sad ($50 more and you get 2 more ports and more peices?). But I
might pick one up, if you can use it with the RCX. Since this Mini-RCX
has only 4 ports will it be smaller/lighter in size compared to the RCX?

I think $150 is firm. The kicker about that kit is that
it's programmable from the front panel--you don't
have to mess around on your PC, which is supposed
to be easier for kids. (Having seen my nephews
glued to their GameBoys, I can believe they would
be comfortable with the arrangement.)

The 2-input, 2-output unit looked like the same
size as the regular RCX, but it was blue. I suspect
it's pretty much the same form factor and
weight as the real RCX, though the styling is
a little different. It also had some cool lights on
it that showed the direction of the outputs when
they were on. Don't forget that it includes a
built-in light sensor, too, so you're really only
losing an output and a configurable input. Still,
I'm sure almost all of us would prefer to pay
$50 more for RIS.

Jonathan

P.S. I did get an up-to-date Dacta catalog, but I
seem to recall having to ask a few times. If you call
Pitsco, be sure to specify the Dacta catalog--they
have two catalogs, only one of which has
Lego stuff.