 Robotics / 355
Re: nqcc, CyberMaster, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:08:49 GMT

Hi Paul,

At -0800 11/9/98 01:29, you wrote:
Greetings,
I'm interested in the CyberMaster and was hoping you could answer a
few questions.

I think one web page (I forgot which) mentioned the CyberMaster has
two tachometers in addition to thee optional sensors and one motor. Is this
correct?  Doesn't this in effect mean the CyberMaster can utilize 5 sensors
total compared to 3 for the "RCX"?

There are only 3 sensor inputs, just as on the RCX.

How do the Cybermaster tachometers function.

I haven't had the time to figure this out yet! I have mainly been working
with low-level
functionality, which is needed before the high-level stuff can be done...
But it seems (from what I have read in the mailing list discussiuons)
that they are internally connected to the 2 motors somehow.

Do they for instance add one for every complete revolution, and
in reverse?

Don't know yet.

Are the motors geared down?

There are 2 internal motors that are not geared down. There is 1 external
motor, and
an suitable contact (output), and that one can of course be geared down if
you want to.

Can I use an A/C adaptor?

There is no slot for an A/C adaptor, but I simply added one. I soldered a
suitable contact
to the battery case (costs about $1). I am currently using an A/C adaptor
that outputs
9V DC, 500 mA.

I'm in the US. What's the cheapest method to obtain a CyberMaster?

First, you should know that the Cybermaster is probably not compliant with
your FCC
regulations as of right now, and that's why it is not sold in the USA.
However, there shouldn't be any practical problems in using the CM in the
USA, since
it has a very low power tranciever (range 10-20 meters).

The CM is sold in several countries in Europe. The software is in the
language
used in each country (with sampled speech etc). My software is in Swedish.
You probably want to find a place in the UK that accepts overseas mailorder.
I don't know any, perhaps someone else on this list knows?

I'm not interested in any of the windows software which comes bundled with
the unit, although it may be cheaper to get the standard 'kit'. I'm hoping
nqcc and other Linux utilities will be able to access all it's features.

Yes, you should be able to access all features using nqcc, spirit.ocx, etc.
There is no need
to use the original Lego software.

I'm primarily a Mac programmer with a dozen Linux boxen running in
my closet. It seems to me the best way to control and program this unit is
by connecting the RF control to the serial port on one of my dual PIIs.

Yes, you are right. Using Linux on a PC is probably the best solution for you.
(It should work using Windows as well, when someone (like me?) gets the
Windows port of NQC to work).

There could be a potential problem in connecting the RF tower
to a Mac directly, since the RF tower needs both DTR and RTS to be set at
different levels
(space= ~ -12V and mark= ~ +12V). It seems that the Mac serial interface
only has one
output line that could be used for this purpose, either as DTR or RTS.
This could of course be accomplished by some additional hardware (I have
used that solution on
a PC, having only TxD, RxD and GND actually connected between the PC serial
port and the RF tower).

Peter Ljungstrand,  Viktoria Institute

Email: peter@informatics.gu.se
Phone: +46-(0)31-7735543        Mobile: +46-(0)708-302251
Fax: +46-(0)31-7735530        ICQ: 6820636
Visitors: Viktoriagatan 13, 7th floor
Snail-mail: Box 620, 40530 Göteborg, Sweden