 Robotics / 3412
Re: Pneumatic 6 legged walker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 07:45:54 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (B van Dam) writes:

For those of you interested in pneumatics I've finally completed a
pneumatic 6 legged walker.

The idea to use feedback loops to make walkers is a good one.  I've made
a similar 6-legged walker using only three large cylinders and three
valves.  This uses a triple-gait-cycle mechanism, meaning that one
cylinder moves the left legs back and forth, one cylinder moves the
right legs back and forth, and the last moves the centre legs up/down.

Of course, you need a three phase feedback loop in this case, unlike the
model you made, which has only two phases.

  1 3 1
\| | |
  #####-
/| | |
  2 3 2

1: right legs
2: left legs
3: centre legs

Compare with a CyberMaster based hexapod for more description of how the
triple-gait-cycle works:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/cm-hexapod/

Unfortunately, this page is down right now, but hopefully it should be
up again in a few hours.

Included on the page is a small .avi so you can see it walk.

If it is an .avi, why does it have a .exe suffix?  If it _was_ an .avi,
I could have played it on my Linux system, but the .exe I cannot use.

Fredrik