 Robotics / 3131
Re: navigation with compass
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:34:37 GMT

    For compasses and other methods of orienting oneself to the world, check
out these firms:
http://idt.net/~aosi/
http://www.xbow.com/
http://dinsmoregroup.com/dico/  The 1490 is great for simple navigation
http://www.precisionnavigation.com/precd.phtml

-----Original Message-----
From: Hao-yang Wang <hywangATpoboxDOTcom@lugnet.com>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Friday, January 22, 1999 2:57 PM
Subject: navigation with compass

Having said that at some stage I'm going to hook a compass up to my RCX,
because I can't think of any other way of building a robot which can
navigate it's domain.

Actually there is a working LEGO compass, put probably not large and
reliable enough to be read by a sensor.

Eric Brok

Light sensor with a magnifier? :-)

I tried using the differential gear to "remember" the initial heading of my
robot, and painfully discovered that the result would drift off after many
turns. Now I think compass is the way to go. (I wonder how Simen solves the
drifting problem in his Vector Rover.)

The type that comes with a ball suspended in liquid may be a better choice
because you don't have to level it too carefully.

Hao-yang Wang