 Robotics / 3090
3089  |  3091
Subject:
Hotrodding the firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:55:47 GMT

I am basically very happy with the posibilities that NQC and the standard
firmware offers. I am reluctant to go into LegOS or deep hardware hacking as
I like to keep my Lego hobby playfull and free from everyday task
synchronisation, addressing errors, driver tuning etc. The only thing that
really prevents any real cool software development withing NQC and firmware
based bytecode hacking is the lack of a stack and arrays.

If we had a stack NQC would be able to support real expressions (like: a =
(b*c)+(d*(a+2))) and provided some minimal amount of memory management NQC
could have records, arrays and local variables without problems. (Given Dave
had the time to implement it.)

Would it be possible to just extend the existing firmware?

Simen

Simen Svale Skogsrud; Producer, Medieoperatørene as
phone: +47 22 99 27 35; mobile: +47 90 77 90 24;
fax: 22 20 64 21; Corp. web: http://www.mop.no
Pers. web: http://www.mop.no/~simen