 Robotics / 2996
Re: Synchro drive in Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:42:04 GMT

Previously, you (Goofyy) wrote:
At 17:26 13/01/1999 -0500, rajackson@qnx.com wrote:
I'm toying with a design which would allow slaving more than one motor
off a output and additionally providing power from a seperate  battery
pack. My current design would require an external circuit to drive the
motors so it's not a solution that could be applied by everone.

Hi, I'm new here, so if I'm missing something, sorry!
Seems what you are describing is just what I'd call a "relay switch".
The output signal from the RCX goes to a switch, which switches the
external power going to your motors.

Well I'd like to control the state of the motors independently so  I'm
thinking   more of a demux (I just aquired 8 more motor kits that were
being cleared from Target bringing my total to 10 geared motors and  2
of the older  style  9V motors. But only 1 RCX). I can use the battery
boxes and lock the power on  and use a relay for  the  others  as  you
suggest, so  that gets me started. After that I'll need to resort to a
soldering iron and some chips ;-)

Seems to me such a switch would be very useful working with Legos Robotics.
I like the idea of powering motors from a different source than the RCX.
Also useful for any hybrid design where the RCX is controlling things not
related to Legos (like Knex).

The easy  soluton  for  this  is  a  reed  relay.  They  come  in  DIP
configurations   which  should  easly  fit  in  a  brick  and  provide
excelent isolation from the RCX.

Goofyy
goofyy@online-club.de
an American in Germany