 Robotics / 291
RE: eCos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 03:54:45 GMT

As some of you will already know, Cygnus has just released eCos, the
embedded Cygnus operating system.  If you like egcs and want your very own
OS on the RCX, this is worth a look.  At first glance it seems really big,
but it's built so you can just get the bits you want.

More info and downloads:

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/

Currently supported targets are Matsushita MN10300, Toshiba TX39 and
PowerPC MPC860.  Anyone interested in adding H8 support?

I was at the Embedded Systems conference today and I stopped by the Cygnus
booth.  I brought up the subject of LEGO Mindstorms and the engineer I was
talking to seemed very interested.  He didn't realize how much reverse
engineering work had already been done, so I pointed him to the web page.

Anyway, he said it should be pretty straightforward to port eCos to the
H8/RCX and said a minimal kernel with memory management, scheduler,
synchronization, and exception handling could be about 4k code / 4k data.

I briefly looked at the configuration program and there are a *lot* of
options you can turn on at the cost of extra memory usage.  It sure would be
cool to run a network stack using the IR link and have a web browser on my
RCX though (kidding ;^)

-Allen