 Robotics / 27763
Re: Original Mindstorms software on Win XP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:24:29 GMT

Forgot one of the most useful parts...
Set virtual memory to 4000MB, as described here:
http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/director-player-60-error-need-at-least-3-mb-virtual-memory-to-run-the-program

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Paul Miranda<paulcmiranda@gmail.com> wrote:
By trial, error, and lots of googling, I found a recipe for getting to
the programming feature in the RIS software that came with my old
original set.

When installing, let it install quicktime 2 and 3 as well as the old
DirectX; only do the minimum install so that it doesn't put the
animations on the hard drive
After install, correct the "Start In" field of the desktop icon's
Properties to point at the installed directory, not the Probe.exe
program within it.
Whenever the program asks you to insert the CD, just hit cancel and
you'll bypass the broken videos.
Don't click on the getting started materials, just go straight to the
programming tool. I found the second video would always hang and once
you've started looking at the getting started videos, it won't let you
do anything else until you finish.

Hope somebody finds that useful. I haven't actually tried downloading
or uploading any programs yet.