 Robotics / 27550
Re: Wireless Power for LEGO Trains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:01:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Sterling wrote:

I know this is a long way off (think 2050) but, on Thursday, Intel revealed
prototypes of a new wireless power supply.

Having a physics background, I just have to say... [sarcasm] Tesla would be,
just, like... *so* surprised [/sarcasm].

I do wonder about the size of the receiver antenna and the transmitter, and
near-field effects. Having worked a very little with "magnetic" radios, this can
get tricky.

There are several (numerous?) wireless power transmission systems in
development.  Electric toothbrushes were early adopters.  Google "eCoupled" for
a system aimed at eliminating the hassle of recharging all your mobile gadgets.

Steve