 Robotics / 27539
27538  |  27540
Subject:
Mars rover IV
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:47:52 GMT

After the HALE experiment we turned back to the Mars rover project IV. Remember
that we want to realize a fully autonom LEGO Mars rover running on the simulated
Mars environment that already served for the previous projects. The idea is to
have two RCX control the rover, two solar panels (no longer three) that recharge
the batteries, an astute power management that reduces power consumption. From
the previous experiments we know that the rover won't be active for most of the
time, although -as planned - continuously being online. So, the power management
will be the central activity.

From the HALE project we learned how to remotely boot and switch on an RCX.
(This will be part of the power management now.)

The rover will be Internet controllable, just like the predecessors. It will use
our IR/radio repeater system. It also will use the CMUCam2, this time also for
taking picture shots and uploading them to the Internet.

The new rover is designed to overcome the mechanical issues with the
predecessors. It has a joint on each side that allows the wheels to adapt to the
terrain and a central joint, where both sides can pivot against each other as
you can see on the video.

While running, the rover motors are submitted to heavy duty. Therefore we added
a temperature sensor to survey one motor temperature (assuming that always both
are active and suffer equally).

Note that the LEOCAD drawings use the temperature sensor and the solar panel.
Thanks Philo for the LDraw-files.

http://www.convict.lu/htm/rob/mars_IV.htm