 Robotics / 27492
Re: AW: Assembly line feeding system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 05:40:51 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Thanks a lot for the tip! This is an amazinly simple and effective way to
serialize a ball flow. According to my experiments, there is a little thing to
add to your explanations: the narrow ramp level must be sufficiently lower than
the base of the wide ramp, or ball arcs can still build up.

Philo

Thank Rafe Donahue, actually. I learned about it from a math/statistics-based
presentation about GBC modules he gave at BrickWorld 2007. If he didn't discover
the technique himself, he at least documented it. :)

I haven't seen a lot of modules use this technique, at least at BrickFest 2005,
2006 and Brickworld 2007, 2008. The modules that cause balls to change direction
don't usually do it in their input hoppers, which is where the technique does
the most good. Therefore, I think Rafe probably did discover this by himself.

I hope more people learn about this technique, because jammed input hoppers tend
to cause problems with the rest of a module, especially when they have things
like chain lifts.