 Robotics / 27454
27453  |  27455
Subject:
Frustration with NXT-G 1.1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 15:11:09 GMT

It's been a LONG time since I've posted.

I was thrilled when my wife presented me with an NXT for our anniversary, and have really enjoyed its capabilities. We migrated our MindStorms@Work group to use the NXT, and dug into NXT-G (since we already knew NQC).

At first glance, it appeared that the NXT-G was wonderful ... much more flexible and useful than the original Lego GUI, while still being relatively easy to use. My primary interest was in determining whether it would be easier to teach my kids NXT-G or NXC.

However, after repeatedly wrestling with "quirks" in NXT-G, I am ready to throw in the towel. For example, see this image http://www.wilcoxfamily.net/csort0511bd.jpg and the following description:

The gumball-sorter program on which my co-worker and I are working uses a switch statement with five possibilities. The switch statement is within a loop, which should exit if a counter monitoring "empty" attempts hits 5. Regardless of what I do, I can never get the extreme right side of the switch block to display, and can never get the data wire between the counter evaluator block and the loop condition to connect in a way that seems to do the right thing.

Add to this nuisances like "dead" wires being left onscreen, very weird things happened when cutting and pasting, problems with selection highlighting, etc., and you can see why I begin to wonder whether the software is _really_ that bad or if I am going crazy.

What experiences have you all had?

(RCX version of of the candy sorter is BLOGged here: http://mindstormsatwork.blogspot.com/ , while pictures of both RCX and NXT versions - very different designs - are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/MindStormsAtWork .)

Thanks.

--Doug Wilcox

WordSmith Digital Document Services
329 Nowell Street
Nashua, NH 03060-4453

*** ***

603-886-5225 home phone
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
ICQ#: 24868783
AIM: WebMeister Doug
Y!: WebMeisterDoug
MSM: WebMeister Doug

- Web design
- Desktop Publishing - Design
- Computer/Software Consulting (Technical Wizardry)
- Computer Demons Exorcised
- Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class