 Robotics / 2715
  Do it yourself light sensors. How does RCX drive them?

Greetings, I've been attempting to build my own IR sensor just like the one that ships with Mindstorms. I've been to the various sites that describe such things, and have even built the circuits described there (see (URL) Unfortunately I haven't (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Do it yourself light sensors. How does RCX drive them?

(...) You must not have been to mine yet. There are many examples of RCX powered sensors there. Look at the Sound, Differential Light, Line Tracking, or general purpose analog homebrew sensors: (URL) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Do it yourself light sensors. How does RCX drive them?

(...) I'm sorry if you have not been able to make my sensor work. However, the ones I have built work just fine and I have had dozens of messages from others who have built them successfully from my design. Guess you had better check your wiring:-) (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Do it yourself light sensors. How does RCX drive them?

(...) I agree, but I wonder if your schematic might be a little confusing. You have dots at places where they are not needed, and a few places where dots should be. I've had several people contact me because they didn't understand the dot method on (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Do it yourself light sensors. How does RCX drive them?

(...) I always thought you should put the dots where you want the really big blobs of excess solder on the actual construction:-) ...but seriously, when I was a kid (chronologically speaking) schematics had no dots and little bridges where crossing (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Do it yourself light sensors. How does RCX drive them?

(...) You are correct, in that the diode in the 'loop' when driving using the normal op-amp output into a resistor technique, imposes a problem, but this is not that significant over the centre of the output range, so most designs tend to ignore (...) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)