 Robotics / 27119
27118  |  27120
Subject:
Windows Vista Mindstorms Compatibility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2007 14:31:54 GMT

I have just bought a laptop with Windows Vista  (it's the only OS you
can get on a laptop around here) and of course I have immediately tried
to install my LEGO software . Here's a short report of the different
apps I've tried to install and the results.:

*RoboLab 2.5.4* - Installation ran smoothly. The shortcut I created lost
its icon, but that was easily solved. The program runs and downloads
perfectly to the RCX.

All of the following LEGO applications install and run fine provided you
take follow this installation procedure:

Browse the installation CD to locate the actual setup.exe (or similar)
file. Right-click it and select Properties > Compatibility and choose
Windows XP Sevice Pack 2. Then double click the setup application and
wait for the software to install.  Once installed you may have to follow
the same procedure with the shortcut to ensure the program runs.

After installation it is quite likely the shortcut on your desktop and
under Start > Programs doesn't have the original LEGO icon associated
with it. Simply right-click the shortcut, select Properties and click on
Change Icon. Browse to the location of the installed application and
select the icon from there.

This applies to:
*RIS 2.0* (The XP patch will stop the launch screen from opening after
every boot),
*Mars Exploration*,
*Vision Command XP* (however there is no Logitech software available for
Vista for this product),
*Ultimate Builders Set*,
*Spybotics* (I haven't been able to determine if the connection to the
Spybot works because my laptop has no serial ports and I haven't yet
bought an adapter. for USB<-->Serial)

The *Droid Development Kit* will install with this procedure, but won't run.

I haven't yet had time to check the Cybermaster  and Mission Pack cds
but will as soon as I get a USB <--> Serial converter

*BriccxCC* - Installs fine, but won't run. No information is given about
why, but it will simply not work. The error message reads: Programmable
Brick IDE stopped functioning. Windows will now close it. (Approximate
wording, my OS is Spanish). I have tried changing Properties >
Compatibility to any previous Windows version, but it will not run.
I hope the developers of BricxCC will soon find a way to make their
excellent app work under Windows Vista.

Linmix