 Robotics / 27076
Re: RCX Motor Diagnostic Test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 19:54:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Andrew G. Meyer wrote:

...the best way to test a large [50-100] quantity of motors
in a short period of time... to set up a motor matching
spreadsheet for the kids.

So ultimately you want as many matched pairs of motors as possible? I'm not at
all sure why you need Robolab for this.

1) Set up all motors with identical loads (identical weights on strings hanging
from pulleys, for example).
2) Power all motors together in parallel, so they have the same voltage (i.e.,
stack their connectors).
3) run them all from a battery box (or more than one, likely, again tied
together to make a single power source) until the fastest motor nearly lifts the
weight to the top.
4) Stop the motors, and match them up like pairs of socks ("these two are
matched because the distance their loads were lifted is matched", etc.)

If you really need to do this to all 100-odd at the same time, you could do it
in several trials, with one or two motors in all the trials to calibrate across
them.

Fast, and accurate towards the end result. Not to mention teaching the kids a
lot more about how things work.

--
Brian Davis