 Robotics / 27063
27062  |  27064
Subject:
Do you like functional programming?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 18:01:04 GMT

If so, this might be of interest to you. I saw it posted on Lambda the Ultimate:

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/The_Monad.Reader

The first article is entitled “A Recipe for controlling Lego using Lava.”

If you’re not familiar with the Lava Hardware Description Language, it’s a Haskell library used to compose structural circuit descriptions and to help define physical circuit layouts.

Rather than try to summarize his article, I’ll just quote the abstract/summary he wrote himself:

“The Haskell library Lava is great for describing the structure of digital circuits: large, regular circuits can be captured by short, clear descriptions. However, structural circuit description alone – and hence Lava – has a somewhat limited application domain. Many circuits are more appropriately expressed in terms of their desired behaviour.

“In this article, I present a new module for Lava – called Recipe – that provides a set of behavioural programming constructs, including mutable variables, sequential and parallel composition, iteration and choice. Mutable state is provided in the form of rewrite rules – normal Lava functions from state to state – giving a powerful blend of the structural and behavioural styles.

“The approach taken here is also applicable to software-based embedded systems programming. Indeed, I have developed a simple C backend for Lava, and my final example – a program that controls a brick-sorter robot – runs on a Lego Mindstorms RCX microcontoller.”